Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Not Just Art 2

Sue has been hard at work thinking of her favourite artworks. Thanks heaps for sharing this little insight into a nother world.















John Brack - Collins St, 5pm. 1955
National Gallery of Victoria

This is one of my favourite paintings. I think because it's local - I can picture where this is happening - because it is both simple and complex and manages to convey the individualness of these people whilst at the same time give a feeling of the plodding crowd action they are caught in. It's about work and life.




















La Sainte-Chapelle, Paris, 1238-1244
TrekEarth

I know this one is a bit lame, but it has been one of the only person-made spaces I have entered which literally made me catch my breath. It was a sunny day, I was in Paris, all was good with the world, so maybe it was the sum of those things. But I literally gasped as I climbed the small staircase and popped out into colour and glow of all that glass in the upper chapel. It was like being in another time, or space. Quite surreal and overwhelming whilst at the same time projecting a feeling of peace and comfort.

I didn't take, nor have I found on the web any photos that give any sense of what it was like to be wrapped in this space.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've got collins street on my shortlist too!

it's nearly done!

26 July, 2006 19:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sainte Chapelle is not lame! If you mean it's a popular choice, there's a good reason. It's extraordinarily beautiful.

26 July, 2006 21:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home